Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Backpack Rap: Writing For The Subculture

Backpack rappers are artist that are not on the mainstream scene and typically do not have a large following. The term "backpack rapper" was given to these artist because the first backpack artists were mostly seen wearing a backpack. The artist would normally keep there CD's and notebook in there backpack and write whenever and wherever they could. More commonly referred to as indie rappers or underground rappers now, these artist are not on the mainstream scene because they don't what to be. The style of these rappers is more lyrically focused than mainstream rappers, and the lyrical content is usually about real life things that they have experienced or have witnessed. These artist stay away from the mainstream scene mostly because they have a different and unique style and want to be able to stay true to that style while making their music.

 

My first example of a backpack rapper is Chance The Rapper. He is from Chicago and has recently gained a following since the release of his first mixtape, #10Day, which came out in spring 2011. He has a very unique and interesting style of rap in terms of his flow and ad-libs. In terms of lyric content, he doesn't really rap about many topics that mainstream artist rap about. The topics he reference mostly is his 10 day suspension from high school during his senior year which lead to his first mixtape, #10Day. He is currently self-produced, so he has the freedom to make his music however he likes. 




Another example is Ab-Soul. He is from Carson, California and is with the independent label Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE). He has been recording music since '04 and was slowly acquiring a following, but due to the success of his label mate, Kendrick Lamar, he has been gaining more fans over the past few years. His style can be described by the two videos above for the most part. Although he does rap about some things that mainstream artist rap about, like smoking weed and women, majority of his music is about his life and his opinions on events around him. Ab-Soul can be described as a political rapper because many of his songs contains references to his views on topics ranging from double standards in society to the government. Although he now has close ties to Dr. Dre, due to Kendrick Lamar's relationship with him, he continues to release his music through TDE.      

17 comments:

  1. My favorite post that I have read so far. Your writing is very lucid and fluent. You paint a modern picture of what a backpack rapper with artist like chance and ab-soul an concisely explained what they do that defines them as a backpack rapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot from your post and really enjoyed reading it! I didn't know what a backpack artist was until now and I liked how you put examples as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. Never heard of a backpack artist before now. Very well written and explained it well. Liked how you posted youtube links so we could hear what backpack artists sounded like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is sweet. I love the entire "Backpack" movement as a whole. I feel like the back symbolizes so much and isn't limited to its intended definition. I'm a big Chance Fan and I love Ab-soul. Chance said in an interview that he loved being on the independent route because it's no middle man to cheat him and his music is HIS music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative post! It was very well-written. I liked reading about backpack rapping because I have never heard of anything like it before. I liked the examples you gave, they were well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this post because it was about something that I didn't even knew existed before. I now know what a backpack rapper is and I thought it was cool to learn about. Your details really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your post! It was a very interesting topic and I wish that more people knew about these and other backpack or underground rappers because they are sometimes better than the popular artists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this post really interesting to read. I usually here the name underground rappers but its cool to here they had another name for them. The videos help a lot because I notice the different style in Chance the rapper and the artist I listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BACKPACK RAP!!!!! I love this niche, deep lyricism, fresh content, counter culture perspective. Chance the rapper and Ab-Soul are great examples, Im with Marcus I'm all about Chance. Great post, Great topic... acid rap

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your post. I really like your writing style; it's very fluid and easy to understand. I had heard the term backpack rapper before and had idea of what it meant but was never sure so thanks for that. Loved the examples that you chose, nice job

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is very interesting. I have never heard underground rappers referred to as backpack rappers. I have always seen upcoming rappers sell CDs and mixtapes out of their backpacks, but I never looked at them as a backpack rapper. I have heard of Chance the Rapper and Ab-Soul, but I never sat down and listened to their songs until now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post reminded me of a Casey Veggies song where he raps about carrying his mixtapes in his backpack and handing them out to students in his high school to listen to. Its nice that other people appreciate this particular style of rap, one that extends beyond the limits of the mainstream sound.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my favorite post so far. Chance and ab-soul are awesome. Underground rap is the best in my opinion. Shows the lyrical side hip hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone needs to listen to dizzy wright and king Los. Awesome backpack rap

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blog. I especially like the choice of rappers you chose to highlight as you key examples. These are very well polished undergroung rappers and that was just a great recognition on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting post I never knew artists were called backpack rappers. Where I'm from we call backpack rappers local jokers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Back pack rap! I love the hustle and ambition that up and coming rappers show with regards to their music. the idea that nothing is handed out and you have to work in order to get that opportunity, in my judgement is the classic I made it through the struggle road to glory of the rich and famous.

    ReplyDelete