Sunday, November 17, 2013

Beyond the Words: Production and Videos by Aldair Seac

Since the first hip-hop music video hit MTV, music videos have had huge impact on the genre. The first hip-hop music video air on MTV was "Rock Box" by Run Dmc paved the way for other artists. The music video had a funky style to it showing a party feel to it. This video started it all for a wave of artists producing videos showing flashy lifestyle.


Today the coloration between song and video is a tactic used by advertisers and producers in the  entertainment industry. Listening to a song is one and listen with its music is another, take Ciara featuring Ludacris - Ride it for example. I would not listen to the song alone but after seeing how intriguing the video was I was an instant fan. Take an look and for yourself and see.
 


Furthermore, artists sometimes formulate their songs in ways for music videos to benefit their songs. For instance, Ludacris featuring Mary J. Bilge - Runaway; do not get me wrong this song is deep alone but when watch the music video for this song, do not be surprise if you want to shed a tear or want to fund an foundation for young abuse children.



To sum up, hip hop is well known for its ability to be diverse, music videos and other productions such as live performances play an major role in the  exposure of an artist song. The way hip hop music is written at times is specifically made by artist to be perform at shows or either made as catcy dance songs.  

16 comments:

  1. Really interesting blog, I have never really thought about the differences a music video can make on your opinion of a song. The examples used were very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog. I do feel that a well thought out music video can push the issue or point that the song is trying to get across. For instance, the music video for common's "come close" is a gorgeous depiction of love even when the circumstances seem impossible. All in all, I really like this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting blog. The different videos make you think about songs in a whole new way. I love the examples you used especially Ciara. I also some song are used more for advertising then others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your blog post. You went into detail about diversity, music videos and other productions such as live performances the play a major role in the exposure of an artist's song. The music videos embedded providing a nice visual to what you had to say especially with ciraras and ludacris' video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting blog. Cool to see how music videos can further the genre of hip hop by providing even more entertainment. I liked the examples you provided as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that a music video can change the affect that a song has on someone. Great examples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked how you referenced the throwback MTV days, when it actually featured music. As oppose to now, where it is polluted with countless reality-tv shows that only teenage girls seem to care about. I liked your video choices to, as Im a big old Ludacris fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you picked some really good videos for you example. I agree that music videos are a great supplement to songs. They making a connect between the song and its audience.

      Delete
  8. I agree that a music video can bring a song to life and better exemplify what the artist is trying to portray. I enjoyed your examples and liked your blog a lot, I found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree completely, good music videos really work with the songs to help push whatever the song is going for. I especially like your example in the song "Runaway". That song does have a great message to it but it really helped by the video which makes what is being rapped about in the song feel more real and emotional

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your blog. I do believe that music videos help people understand the meaning of a song, and are also just entertaining to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your blog. I agree that Hip Hop is well diverse, It is true that sometimes the music and the video may or not may not correlate with each other. I also like the examples you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this blog. I agree that music videos can add something to the song that just hearing it can not do. Something about using another one of your senses creates a different feel when you hear the song. Good job with the examples you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good blog. I never really pay attention to or watch music videos, but you showed that it can actually make a difference. Not a big fan of luda, but they were good examples

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music videos are an interesting concept because they add visual cues to an already existing song. A good music video can make up for a bad song.

    ReplyDelete
  15. cool blog! The effect of the music video on the song is really amazing. It is interesting how much effort, money and time is put into the production and music videos.

    ReplyDelete