Monday, September 2, 2013

            We often hear the same words being used over and over again to describe hip-hop. People often use terms such as: lifestyle, power, inspiration, poetry, struggle, culture and beat to describe this complex form of music. Even though these words have a direct correlation with hip-hop and all that it encompasses. I recently came across a new word that was used a long time ago to describe blues music that I believe could also be used to describe hip-hop music today.
            The word that I am referring to is matrix. It was used in1984 by Houston Baker, American scholar specializing in African-American literature, in his book “Blues, Ideology, and Afro-American Literature: A Vernacular Theory”. In this book Baker elaborated on his idea about blues geographies. He also touched on the topic of orality, which is thought and verbal expression in societies where different types of literacy, like writing and print, which are unfamiliar to most of the population. Baker argued that  blues is a “"matrix", a code that acts as the foundation for African American artistic production insofar as blues music synthesizes numerous types of early African American oral genres”.
            The part of this theory that I mainly want to focus is where Baker says that “blues synthesizes numerous types of early African American oral genres”. This is exactly what hip-hop is today. If you were to go back to the time when hip-hop first started and listen to the music chronologically to now, you would hear a story being told, which is what blues music did. A perfect example of this would be songs that were made during the Harlem Renaissance. Some songs almost remind me of keepsakes or mementos, as if they were created for my generation to tell me about what was happening back then. That is why I feel like hip-hop is so relevant today, it has the power not only to tell stories form decades ago but also to bring people together from all walks of life to hear these stories and learn from them today.
Baker also described a matrix as “a point of ceaseless input and output, a web of intersecting, crisscrossing impulses always in productive transit”. As I read this description I could not help but think about how this sounded so much like hip-hop music. There is always a constant flow of songs and messages being exchanged in hip-hop. And it is amazing because regardless of the message that is being delivered the audience can always learn from it which creates the productive transit that Baker used to describe blues. Blues and hip-hop are two different oral genres but they have a lot of things in common that I did not pick up on before researching Houston Baker and this theory of the blues matrix. This blog post and the research it required shows how we are still learning from hip-hop music and all of the different forms it comes in, wither it be an actual song, the analysis of that song, or theories about hip-hop.
Work Cited




18 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog! It's always interesting to hear and read different views and thoughts of how people look at hip hop instead of the usual definitions. It goes to show that we all still have so much to learn about hip hop and we can do that by listening to older hip hop or newer songs, and they all tell stories that are relatable. This blog also goes to show that older ideas about music, such as "matrix", can create a new attitude and perspective on today's hip hop. There is always something new to learn about hip hop, but that's what makes this genre so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog entry was very interesting. I would never have thought of comparing Blues to hip hop. It was eye-opening to see the many similarities that they both have in common. This entry also explained how hip hop is constantly evolving. Can’t wait to see how it will evolve even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very surprised that a music genre from so many years ago, Blues, could be compared to a more recent genre, Hip Hop, all through using one word. It was interesting to see that just one word, "matrix", could be use to describe genres that are pretty far apart. I find it fascinating that hip-hop has so many names and can be described in so many ways. The section of this blog that I really enjoyed the most was the part where you said that listening to older hip=hop or blues can actually tell a story of what was going on then. It's just like reading a history textbook, only more interesting and more personal. I really enjoyed reading this blog because it showed me that there is more to hip-hop, or music in general, than meets the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post about hip hop matrix was actually pretty interesting. I love how you used parallels of blues and hip hop to describe the emphasis and the role the genre plays, not only in our generation but in generations past as well. Reading this made me realize a relationship that was blind to me before. It's always unveiling to realize things, once read it gave me a different lenses, now I can see a hip hop matrix I never saw before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a hip-hop enthusiast I really enjoyed this blog. I find it very interesting that hip-hop has such close ties to blues. Frankly, with the way hip hop is expanding, branching out, and constantly recreating its image, one would have no clue that the two are synonymous. Matrix being introduced in this blog is going to stick with me because I have never observed the word used in musical context. Honestly, when I hear the word matrix I think of the movies. All in all, I really liked this blog. Thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of Matrix being referred to hip-hop until I read this blog. Your blog was very interesting. I've heard of blues, which I'm sure most of us have. When I think about the work matrix it makes me think of blue now. When I first thought of Matrix I thought about when actor/characters or slowed down in movies. After reading your post I've learned that matrix is in both movies and music. Now that I'm reading everyone's blog above me I'm noticing that we're all saying about the same thing. Thanks for teaching me something new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always used words like "lifestyle, power, [etc.]" to describe hip-hop. After reading this post however, I agree that matrix is a much more applicable word. As you said, hip hop is ever-changing, ever evolving; this is one of the things I love about hip-hop. Also, I had never thought of comparing hip-hop to blues but I agree with your comparison completely. The ability to tell a story that makes the listener feel what the artist is saying is present in both genres.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The definition of the word "Matrix" on Google is "an environment or material in which something develops", and I believe that your blog post did a very good job of explaining it as such. Hip-hop/rap is a constantly changing genre that receives its' influences not only from blues, but many other forms of music and modern culture as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of describing hip hop as a matrix. Although in essence it explains hip hop in ways that I have many times before, the use of the term "matrix" is different to me. The way hip hop brings people from different parts of the globe together and delivers messages from the past, it can easily be described as a matrix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blues and hip hop. I would have never guessed these two genres would be so similar. I also have never heard of the word "matrix" in relation to music but it is very interesting. I agree that music can tell a story and relate people. I kept thinking if the song "Same Love" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert. This song explains the struggle that people who love the same sex go through. This song shows that our generation is pushing for gay marriage rights, and this song will tell future generations the same message.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a shock to me because hiphop as an matrix? Wow. It made me actually look of the definition of "Martix." As i read the definiton it began to make sense. I like to think Hiphop is a mix of all forms of art.Your post made me realize that hiphop is in fact a matrix. It gathers all forms of art and all types of people into one mush, or one song. Amazing how a song or an artist can gather multiple people together in one moment, in that song.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your juxtaposition of hip hop and blues to be quite interesting. Prior to reading this blog, I would have thought that comparing the two would be rather far-fetched. However, this article enlightened me to an entirely new perspective on hip hop, which was enabled by your use of the word "matrix". This article also made me realize that good lyricists are harder and harder to come by. Nowadays, the focus on the beat, often characterized by a hard hitting 808s and a cinematic melody have been overshadowing the emphasis on a rapper's lyrics. Obviously, this isn't the case for every rapper, but I feel as though the emphasis on lyrics is not what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a very good job here of explaining how the word matrix applies to the genre of hip hop. It is very interesting to think about it this way because it typically is thought of on a much simpler level then this. A matrix is something that is developing, which is essentially exactly what the genre has done over time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This whole idea of the hip hop indusrty being a matrix is qa very developed idea. I really agree with that because the hip hop genre is very much like a melting pot, therefore it is forever changing ang grp0wing, thus alluding to it being a matrix. Great points!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's awesome that you were able to identify a new way of describing hip-hop. When we were in class last week the 'old' ways of describing the genre were used a lot, especially "lifestyle". But you're absolutely right. Hip hop music, and other music genres at that, are constantly evolving, and new trends of hip hop groups and rock bands are always on the rise (or always sort of fading out). Good job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting blog post. Reading about the correlation and relevancy between an old genre of music and hip hop makes me wonder about the relationships between so many other genres. Love the "matrix" description. Hip hop is always growing, changing and revolutionizing and it's interesting to track the multitude of sources that influence it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This blog was an eye-opener. I love the idea that both hip-hop and blues have so much in common. Especially in the fact that both of the genres are here to sort of tell a story, either throughout one particular song, or throughout an entire time period. It is exciting that this type of music is constantly changing and I am excited to see what is generated next.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked the part of how hip hop has changed the english language and that slang is now used in every day conversations

    ReplyDelete